Philip Winchester Fans
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A forum for fans of actor Philip Winchester

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Problems?
Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Emptyby Alize Mon May 18, 2015 3:51 pm

» Admin blog
Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Emptyby Alize Mon May 18, 2015 3:31 pm

» How Philip Winchester Keeps Fit
Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Emptyby Alize Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:28 pm

» Magazines
Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Emptyby Alize Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:38 pm

» 2014 Happy Birthday Philip!
Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Emptyby Alize Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:06 pm

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Philip Winchester Fans on your social bookmarking website

Camelot Reviews and Spoilers

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Alize
Admin
Alize

Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Camelot Reviews and Spoilers   Camelot Reviews and Spoilers - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 26, 2011 2:59 pm

http://glvalentine.livejournal.com/301832.html

How My TV Recapping is Going.

You'd think by this LJ that I am not watching any television right now! That is not true. I am, in fact, watching my normal amount of television, and even more so, since Camelot, The Borgias, and Game of Thrones all started up within a few weeks of each other, ensuring I would never leave the house again.

My opinion about the three fantasy and/or historical dramas that premiered this spring, summed up as succinctly as possible:

Graphics via rosewyck and fuckyeahoborgia, doing humanitarian work capturing this expression for posterity.

And the thing is this: neither Camelot, nor Game of Thrones, nor The Borgias, is terrible. (Well, maybe Camelot. We'll get there.) Game of Thrones and The Borgias both have some excellent acting, which is 85% of what I look for in a show. David Oakes, seen above making a truly marvelous bitchface, is one of many other actors bringing amazing stuff to every episode of their respective shows.

Here's where the trouble starts, though.

To talk about how great David Oakes is in the Borgias (and he really is), I have to talk about how great he was in Pillars of the Earth, which I have still not finished recapping. Also, it seems odd to talk about The Borgias when I haven't yet talked about how I first saw Holliday Granger in Sparkhouse back in 2003 when she was OUTSTANDING in a part that could have been a disaster, and how pleased I am to see her on something that doesn't require a PAL converter, or watching the later seasons of Robin Hood (where, I will never stop reminding people, Richard Armitage, who had played her stepfather in Sparkhouse like four years prior, played her love interest).

So, fine, speaking of under-appreciated actors coming into their own, we could talk about Camelot, where Philip Winchester and Eva Green are doing the heavy lifting in the middle of one of the oddest casts on television, including the prepubescent Jamie Campbell Bower and the always-off-putting Joseph Fiennes, who has thrown his hat in the Ham-Off ring (against, I am assuming, his more talented brother, Ham-Off veteran Ralph) to mixed results. However, that requires discussing a show that releases this image as a PRESS PHOTO:

And a show that thinks this photo represents it in the best possible light is not a show I am ready to recap right now, you know?*

So, I could recap A Game of Thrones instead, but I just can't.

Also, did you know that the week before last, at least two of these three shows had graphically-depicted rape in them? I heard rumors that Camelot also had one, but by then I was a little tired of rape as a plot device, especially inserted into the Game of Thrones narrative in which I am told the whole initial point of the scene was Not-Rape, thank you very much for THAT, HBO, and so Camelot is still sitting on my TiVo, where I look at it from time to time and make Juan Borgia face at it and then just go to bed early.

Short version: Yes, I plan to review them all...as soon as I can pull it together. Also, expect a lot of concurrent reviews of things that came out between 3 and 8 years ago, because that's how my mind works.

* I mean seriously, that is not a screencap. That is a Showtime-stamped OFFICIAL PRESS PHOTO, which means someone looked at this photo, and instead of saying, "This looks like rehearsal," they said, "Such ACTION! Such DRAMA! Quick, get this to the Associated Press! Now let's see that audience just ROLL IN!" And someone else stamped it, and sent it to the publicity department, and THEY signed off on it and sent it to the press, and the press, snickering, made it available, and now you have to wonder what on earth is going on with this show, seriously.
Back to top Go down
https://pwmultiply.forumotion.com

Camelot Reviews and Spoilers
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2